Road Traffic Accidents*

There are a number of different ways in which a person can be injured and bring a claim while using the road.

A person can be injured while driving their own vehicle when involved in an accident that is the result of another person’s negligence, be it car, van, lorry or motorbike.

A person travelling as a passenger in another person’s vehicle can bring a claim for injuries resulting from an accident against the person who is at fault. This can be the driver of the vehicle they are travelling in or another road user.

Pedestrians are more vulnerable and likely to suffer more serious and traumatic injuries as a result of accidents on the road as they are not protected in the same way other road users are.  Any pedestrian who is injured as a result of a vehicle colliding with them can bring a claim against the vehicle owner or driver.

Cyclists are unprotected when using the road and an accident wherein a cyclist is injured can result in injuries of a serious nature. A cyclist may bring a claim for their injures against the party at fault, who can be any other road user.

A taxi driver can make a claim for an accident where another party has caused a collision with their vehicle in the same way another road user can. A taxi driver can suffer a loss of earnings which may be vouched with receipts. If you are a taxi driver and are looking for advice in relation to making a claim for compensation, please contact us on 01 8422919 to discuss same.

What should I do if involved in a road traffic accident?

  1. Stop and assess the scene. Check yourself and passengers for any injury. If anyone is bleeding or unconscious or otherwise seriously injured, it may be necessary to call an ambulance or ask someone at the scene to call an ambulance.
  2. If you are not seriously injured, and another road user is involved, check to see if they are seriously injured and if they require medical attention. If they do, call an ambulance.
  3. If you are not seriously injured, you may still be in shock. Take a few moments to breath. When you are able, take the other parties’ details, such as names, addresses, insurance details and registration details.
  4. If you are able, take photographs of the accident location, and damage to vehicles, and of any injuries if visible. Make a note of what happened and who is at fault.
  5. Contact the Gardai. In some minor accidents it will not be necessary for the Gardai to attend the scene, however if you have any reason to be worried that the other party is uninsured or driving without a licence or is driving the vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or if the person attempts to flee the scene, contact the Gardai and make them aware of your concerns. If the Gardai cannot attend the scene, attend your local station within 24 hours and formally report the accident.
  6. If you are injured, attend at your General Practitioner as soon as possible. If your injury requires immediate attention, attend your local Emergency Department.

Should you require any advice in relation to being involved in a road traffic accident and how to proceed with bringing a claim for compensation, please feel free to contact us on 01 8422919  or email us at

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.